Since ancient times vinegar was used in the kitchen. In addition to dressing and flavoring, this ingredient is one of the best known preservatives for making pickles, marinades or marinades. We review some of its varieties.
THE MOST USED VINEGERS
- White. It is almost transparent in color and has a strong and pronounced flavor. It is made with sugar cane, molasses or corn. It is mainly used for packaged and pickled sauces
- Of wine. Extracted from grapes and wine fermentation, it can be red or white. The first makes meat stews and legumes tastier. The white wine is very suitable for Dutch and mayonnaise sauces.
- Of Apple. Soft and slightly sweet and spicy flavor. It is made with the pulp or the juice of the fruit, the cider. It is stored in barrels of two or three years to reach its correct maturation. Ideal for cold soups and salads and to improve fish and sauces.
- Of rice. Also known as komezu, it is the most popular and used in Asian countries. Made from the fermentation of rice, it is mild and aromatic, indicated as a flavoring and in the preparation of sushi.
- From Jerez. It comes from Pedro Ximénez grapes. It is a prestigious caramel and fruity product. It must age in oak barrels in which Jerez wine has been previously made. It has a high quality and combines wonderfully with carpaccios, gazpachos and cold soups, salads, fish marinades and roasts and meat stews.
- From Modena Balsamic vinegar is made with must in the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna. It has a very nice sweet touch after a maceration that can last between 4 and 12 years. It goes well in all kinds of desserts and with game meats.
- Porto, Champagne There are very good vinegars that come from the French region of Champagne, and in Portugal, mention deserves that of Porto, excellent for vinaigrettes.
It does not contain salt, fat or calories. It is a natural food preservative and highlights flavors.Lew Robertson / Corbis
HOW TO DRESS THE SALADS
The correct order is: salt, vinegar and, finally, oil.
This ingredient is thrown at the end because, otherwise, a protective film is created and salads are not well impregnated with all flavors.
CURIOSITIES AND TRICKSMiriam Yeleq
How to flavor it? The classic herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, dill, tarragon - give it a very good flavor. Seasonings such as pepper or garlic are also good.
Marinated with raspberries. The fruits, after several weeks in white vinegar, give an exotic and refreshing touch to the vinegar and, in addition, to the dishes.
Remedies to improve health. In a poultice, it relieves headaches. It is also very effective against pain caused by insect bites, as well as swelling from sunburn.
Marinade. It is one of the primitive ways to preserve fish and meat with vinegar. Today, pure luxury.